Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Today

There was an hour long wait at our usually lazy polling place this morning. Hunter was so excited to see all of the people out doing their duty. And as I listened to people in line giving hints to their voting preferences and making their predictions, I was overcome with the significance of our right to vote.

Our right to vote gives us a say in our destiny. It gives us a voice in how we think our country or state or city should be led. But once our choice is made...

After another political season of negative and attacking rhetoric, I can honestly say that all I am is prayerful.

Today I will be in prayer for the man who has had the awesome burden of leading our country through some pretty rough stuff. Our President, whom we the people elected, has carried an incredibly heavy yoke for four years. For that matter, every President in the history of our country has. Few of us can understand the awesome responsibility of having men die under our command. Nor can we imagine the sorrow that seeing those we are charged with leading go hungry or homeless. This is why, even if he didn't earn our vote, our President deserves our respect.

Today I am in prayer that win or lose the Presidency, that Mr. Obama and his family be blessed by the experiences they've had over the last four years.

Hunter reminded me last week that it wasn't very nice of everyone to speak so badly of President Obama, after all, he is our President. And he's right. Regardless of your political position, Barack Obama was appointed and ordained as the leader of our country. And I will stay in prayer for him and his family through today's new test of them.

Finally, on our way to school after voting, Hunter and I discussed whether we should worry about how this election will turn out while we're going about our normal school and work life today. We decided we would instead, be in prayer.

In prayer for these two men and their families. That they find the purpose God has for them in this contest and after.

In prayer for our country. That we will, in fact, stand on In God We Trust, trusting that the outcome of this election will be a perfectly designed and ordained part of God's will for us as a nation.

In prayer for our community. That we will all do our part, cast our vote, and find peace in the outcome.

At the end of the day, I voted for some Republicans. I also voted for some Democrats. And neither of those choices defines me more than the simple fact that I VOTED.

No comments: