Monday, October 22, 2012

The truth about the trombone

Hunter was REALLY excited about playing in his school band for the first time. Even when given a choice of art, choir or band, he chose band. He even made it clear that if he had to, he would give up football to be in the band.

Even better, he announced, he knew exactly what instrument God built him to play. The flute.

We encouraged Hunter to continue to try all of the instruments and at least come up with a Plan B. So grudgingly he did and chose the drums.

Until band instrument assignment/rental night.

David and Hunter came home from what was supposed to be a happy manly bonding adventure looking both confused and unhappy. What had gone wrong? Where was the final choice that would mean many sleepless nights in the Howard house?

Somehow, Hunter's Plan B had been shifted to Plan C, he would be playing the trombone.
The trombone? Where did that come from?

"I don't know, I was terrible at the trombone in auditions. I couldn't even make a sound on it. I want to quit band."

I immediately did what any over-involved mom would do. I called a conference with the band teacher. I was bound and determined to find out where this villainous trombone had come from and why was it destroying my son's love of band.

Long story short, turns out Hunter was SUPER in his trombone audition. Better than the flute, or even the drums, Hunter SHINED in two separate auditions on the trombone. Go figure, my kid's a trombone prodigy!

Just kidding, but really, he had done really well on the trombone, earning two separate Super evaluations.

So why had he told me such a completely different story about his trombone auditions and assignment and why did he hate the trombone so much he wanted to quit band?

Turns out that Hunter was suffering from a case of poor self evaluation. You know what I'm talking about. It's like when you check yourself in the mirror before you leave in the morning, admiring how nice you look today, only to get to work and have someone point out the huge zit on your forehead you never noticed.

Hunter had done to himself what so many of us do, unintentionally, to shortcut our own success and happiness - he had misjudged his own talent and performance.

Thank God for the truer insight often given others into our purpose, abilities and performance. If Ms. Smith hadn't had the discernment to hear Hunter's trombone potential, he would have happily blundered along on the drums, never knowing he was built for better on another instrument.

When we explained to Hunter how Super he had done on the trombone and that we all really thought he should play it, he was THRILLED! He wanted to know if we could go buy his trombone right at that moment! Tragedy averted! Band was back on the new adventures list.

What a wonderful way to accept constructive criticism!


If only I had the humility and openness to hear those God put to speak into my life with such trust and enthusiasm. How much sooner or more easily would I have grown to where I am if rather than wrestling with the "They don't know me" and "Who do they think they are" moments of life, I had embraced them.

What if, when those with more wisdom or insight than I pointed out the drums I shouldn't be playing while directing me to the trombone I would excel at, I would be THRILLED to find deeper understanding of my real purpose and power.

I never age in my mirror. I don't see the toll the years have taken on my face. It makes perfect sense when people tell me "You haven't aged a day since high school!". But my brain really knows better than to believe my mirror or such platitudes.

So I resolve to make growing up easier on my self from here forward, to be at least as wise and brave as my 10-year-old and excitedly embrace good guidance towards my life's true and best purpose.

How about you? Do you have a moment when you realized your brain had tricked you into believing something not quite true about yourself that was holding you back? Please share!

No comments: